Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Sam's shoulder surgery
so Sam's surgery is on Monday and I figure now is as good a time as any to explain the extensiveness of his injury. His orthopedic surgeon will be Dr. Samuel Park, who seems like a nice enough guy, and if anything, Sam likes his name; ha! Anyways, Sam's shoulder is classified as Chronic pain, and the surgeon said, he's never seen a shoulder in quite as bad condition (Gee, that's reassuring). Sam has 5 things that they are going to attempt to repair in a Surgery that wil take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. Dr.Park is going to attempt to do the entire surgery arthroscopically, but is prepared to "cut him open" if need be! We are truly hoping for the arthroscopic route as both the pain and healing time are much less! The first injury that requires repair, is Sam's Rotator cuff Which has a complete tear on 75% of it, and a partial tear on the other 25%. Also Sam has a bone spur in the rotator cuff that will be removed. The next injury is his bicep and although this website shows scars at the elbow Dr. Park will be doing this from the shoulder,he will cut and reattach the bicep (doesn't this sound fun?) The 4th thing requiring attention is a growth of arthritis on Sam's clavicle they will fix this through a technique called subacromial smoothing. Finally, on the back side of Sam's shouder are several tear in his labral tendon's which the doctor is going to "clean up" while he's in there! So there you have it! There is some good news in all of this, first and foremost Sam will no longer be in chronic pain! Also My mother in law and Sister in law arrive on Saturday to help me with the kids and hubby for 2 weeks!